If you want your website to be a huge success, there is one aspect of search engine optimisation (SEO) you cannot afford to get wrong. That aspect is keyword research. This is such a critical component because it is your keywords which help to define your website and make it accessible to potential website visitors. Listed below you will find some basic steps for ensuring you are utilising all of the best possible keywords throughout your website.
1. Brainstorming is one of the first steps you should take when doing your keyword research. This can be a very informal process where you sit down and just right down everything that comes to mind when you think about your niche website. You may come up with some potential keywords which are too far off base but you will be surprised with how many useful potential keywords you discover through this process.
2. Next it is time to scope out the competition. Take a look at the top ranking websites in your niche and determine which keywords they emphasize. This is important because these are keywords which are proven to work. A great deal more than just utilising keywords goes into the optimisation of a website though, so don’t fall into the trap of believing all you have to do is copy the keywords your competitors are using.
3. Another way to conduct keyword research is by polling your consumers. If you sell a product or service this will be the individuals who purchase your product or service. When your website is your product, the visitors to your website are the consumers. Find out what they are most interested in from your website and focus on the terms they use to describe their interests.
4. There are also many software products available to assist you in determining useful keywords. Many of these products allow you to enter one keyword and generate a series of keywords based on the one you entered. Often this is useful but it is always worthwhile to make sure the generated keyword still fits into your niche.
5. Finally, it is important to remember keyword research is not a one time activity. It should be a process which continues over time. You may start your website based on a few keywords but you should always monitor the success of the keywords to determine whether or not you should keep them. You should also always be looking for new keywords to keep your content fresh and your website regularly updated.